Open_Sailing has been invited in Barcelona by the CCCB for a lecture (below you can see the slideshow) and for a day-long workshop, as a part of the NOW festival and Atopia.
NOW is a reflection on the present based on the scientific, technological, artistic, social and spiritual transformations that are taking place at the start of the 21st century. It is a process of research, creation and dissemination that aims to bring together different local and international agents involved in the actions that are promoting a change of paradigm in the information and knowledge society and in globalised cultures.
The first day, Cesar Harada presented Open_Sailing on a more historical perspective, explaining how it developed and where it is going, slideshow below.
The second day 27 person participated the Open_Sailing workshop with Cesar Harada, Ruairi Glynn, Ollie Palmer, Carla Colet Castano. It was about dance, sensible linear - branched and complex networks, mapping, tagging, geostrategy, group and decision making, adhocracy, object oriented politics, open architecture, town-planning, renewable energies, sustainable design, hedonism, fun, architecture of play.
Here is the structure of the workshop as a simpler array of instructions :
3. walk eyes closed
4. run eyes closed
5. linear network - walk eyes closed
6. linear network - walk eyes closed - somebody takes the lead
7. branched network - walk eyes closed
8. branched network - walk eyes closed - somebody takes the lead
9. complex network - walk eyes closed
10. complex network - walk eyes closed - somebody takes the lead
11. splitting the group is sub-groups
1. cover the floor with a large paper
2. draw YOUR world map
1. have 2 colours stikers : one "like" color, one "dislike" color
2. tag the map, write words on tags
3. map the whole world
1. think of where you personaly would prefer to live according to your map and tags
Group decision of a location
1. make a decision, as group, of one location, where you all agree to go together
Group decision of activities
1. as a group decide one activity in this new location
1. as an individual, choose your activity within this group
Craft of the system
1. describe your location, group activity, personal activity, how the system would work (food, energy, political, technology ...)
Design of the system
1. optimize your system
Fabrication of models
1. as a group, fabricate the physical model of what you have been describing
Public presentation and debate
1. present your group work to other groups of works
2. compare, discuss.
3. general debate : what happened? what did you enjoy? what did you not enjoy? what did you learn? what will remain in your memory? How will this workshop affect your future life?
download flv 12.mb